December 8, the Day of the Immaculate Conception, is a special occurrence in my hometown of Enna.
On this day, it is customary to buy some lupine beans and blueberries. In Enna, you can find them only on the eve and on the day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception!
I do not know why we eat such fruit on this day. Surely, there must be a reason. However, following the tradition, yesterday I bought some.
On December 8, the statue of the Virgin Mary is brought in procession. Brethren of the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception carry on their shoulders a heavy litter with the statue of Mary. For them, carrying the litter is a special honor and privilege.
While the statue passes along the streets, people pray to Our Lady for mercy.
The feast of the Immaculate Conception in my hometown of Enna is just a folkloristic event or there is a deep religious meaning behind it?
As for Enna people, I am sure that they live this feast day with authentic religious zeal!
Ettore Grillo, author of these books:
– November 2: The Day of the Dead in Sicily (English edition)
– A Hidden Sicilian History (English edition)
– The Vibrations of Words (English edition)
– Travels of the Mind (English edition)
– Una Storia Siciliana Nascosta (edizione in lingua italiana)
– Viaggi della Mente (edizione in lingua italiana)