Yesterday, we went to the nearby town of Calascibetta. This charming old town was once dotted with caves where people used to live. Nowadays, new buildings have covered much of the caves. However, there is an area, where they still survive. In this place, the local population has set up a live Nativity Scene inside the caves, with men, women, and children dressed in a similar way to that at the time of Jesus’s birth.
We walked along the caves and savored the charm of times gone by, when human heart was more alive, tools were handmade, the food was natural, and the air not polluted.
After visiting the caves, we tasted local products: chickpea soup, cheese, and local sweets.
The live Nativity Scene in Calascibetta stands not only for tourists. It also has a deep religious meaning!
Ettore Grillo, author of these books:
– November 2: The Day of the Dead in Sicily (English edition)
– A Hidden Sicilian History (English edition)
– The Vibrations of Words (English edition)
– Travels of the Mind (English edition)
– Una Storia Siciliana Nascosta (edizione in lingua italiana)
– Viaggi della Mente (edizione in lingua italiana)